Madness of Deathwing is the final encounter in the Dragon Soul raid instance. Here’s what a hunter needs to know:
Phase One takes place on four islands, each occupied by one of the four great Dragon Aspects (Alexstraza, Kalecgos, Nozdormu, and Ysera) who will assist you. As you complete each platform the Aspect associated with that island will no longer be able to grant you the aid of their special ability. Therefore, the strategy used on each island will depend on which Great Aspects are still active.
- Deathwing’s Arms and Wings - As you start the fight on each island, you’ll be dpsing one of Deathwing’s limbs, either an arm or a wing depending on the platform.
- You can pre-pot before the fight, but the beginning of this fight is not the most effective time to burn your major cooldowns.
- As you jump to the different islands, you can get a few shots on Deathwing’s limbs from the air.
- Mutated Corruptions – Ten seconds after Deathwing begins assaulting the Aspect on your current island, a large tentacle called a Mutated Corruption will spawn at the opposite side of the platform from the limb.
- Begin dpsing the Mutated Corruption as soon as it spawns.
- It is important to kill the Corruption quickly so that it doesn’t Impale your tank more than once.
- Most groups will use Heroism to get the first Corruption down, as this will allow enough time for Heroism to be used twice during the fight.
- If your group uses Heroism on the first island, use your 5 minute cooldowns e.g. Rapid Fire and Call of the Wild for the Mutated Corruptions on the second and fourth islands.
- Elementium Bolts – Just as you are finishing off the Mutated Corruption, Deathwing will launch an Elementium Bolt at a designated spot on the island.
- If Nozdormu is still active (there will be a large golden swirl on the island) the Elementium Bolt will be slowed and your raid should be able to kill it before it hits the ground.
- If Nozdormu is not active to slow the bolt, you won’t be able to kill it before it hits and will need to get far away from the impact site (small golden swirl) to reduce damage from Elementium Blast.
- You’ll need to kill the Bolt within 5.2 seconds after it hits so that your raid doesn’t take additional ticks of damage.
- Deterrence will mitigate damage from the Elementium Blast.
- Regenerative Blood – After 90 seconds, Regenerative Blood oozes will spawn.
- Use Explosive Trap and Multi-Shot to AoE them down quickly.
- If your raid isn’t able to AoE them down within ten seconds, the remaining Bloods will regain their health. If this happens, single-target any remaining Bloods.
- Blistering Tentacles – At 75, 50, and 25% health, small Blistering Tentacles will spawn on Deathwing’s limbs.
- If Alexstraza is active, she’ll breathe fire on them and kill them.
- If Alexstraza is not active, you’ll need to kill them quickly.
- They are immune to AoE and must be killed using single-target abilities.
Phase two takes place on Ysera’s island where you’ll be attacking Deathwing and several types of adds. The order of priority for dps is:
- Elementium Fragments – small tentacles that spawn on the island.
- Elementium Fragments will cast Shrapnel on random players.
- If you get the Shrapnel debuff, use Ysera’s Dream ability to reduce the damage that will occur when the Shrapnel cast completes.
- Deterrence does not mitigate Shrapnel damage.
- Elementium Terrors – two elementals will spawn that need to be killed before they kill your tank.
- Deathwing – When there are no adds up you can dps Deathwing. When Deathwing is at 10%, ignore adds and just burn him down.
Here’s a hunter PoV video from Myrtus of Litmus on EU – Tarren Mill, Marksmanship hunter:
Screenshot by ~byorrsingyr
For more hunter strategy guides see Dragon Soul: Boss Strategies and Videos for Hunters