WoW Hunter PvP Guides
Tabana and Zumio: This hunter PvP guide compilation links to a variety of information sources that can help you get started if you’re new to hunter PvP and help you to refine your skills if you’re already experienced in PvP and want to play at a higher proficiency level. Although it is currently focused on hunter PvP in Cataclysm, we do have a small section started for hunter PvP in Mists of Pandaria that will be updated as new material becomes available.
See more WoW Hunter’s Hall guides here.
- Beginner’s Guides
- General Guides
- Beast Mastery Guides
- Guides to Trapping, Peeling, and other Essential Hunter PvP Skills
- Macros and Keybindings
- Dueling Guides
- Arena Videos
- Video Montages
- Tournament Videos
- Hunter PvP in Mists of Pandaria
Beginner’s Hunter PvP Guides
- Cataclysm Hunter PvP Beginner’s Guide 1/4/11 Kujaqtlol at the Arena Junkies Hunter Forum. Gives an overview of hunter PvP basics including a look at the three talent trees, pets, and stat priorities.
- Marksmanship Talent Spec 2/15/12 Tapington at WHU
- Beast Mastery Talent Spec 2/15/12 Tapington at WHU
- Gear and Racials 2/21/12 Tapington at WHU
- Addons, Keybinds and Macros 2/23/12 Tapington at WHU
- Positioning and Line of Sight 2/23/12 Tapington at WHU
- Kiting Principles 3/5/12 (video) Tapington
- Basic Guide to Gearing, Speccing & Glyphing for Marksmanship PvP (video) 2/27/12 Zumio
- WoW 85 Hunter PvP Guide 10/7/11 (video) Brang
- Comparing the Hunter Talent Trees for PVP 7/15/11 Euripides at OutDPS
- Marks and Survival PvP Guide (4.3) 8/16/11 – current. This comprehensive, up-to-date guide to hunter PvP is maintained by Qualk on the US Battlenet hunter forum. Contents include general tips, specs, pets, gear, macros, addons, battleground-specific strategies, dueling, and arenas. The arena section includes common comps and their strategies, tactics for the various arena venues, tips for positioning, an explanation of diminishing returns, crowd control, targeting, peeling, and communication. There’s a great deal of helpful information in this post.
- Hunter PvP Basics: Movement & Positioning 3/4/11 Garwulf at Huntsman’s Lodge
- Hunter PvP Basics: Pets 3/9/11 Garwulf at Huntsman’s Lodge
- BM PvP Build Redux 7/9/11 Garwulf at Huntsman’s Lodge
- Hunter PvP Basics: Targeting 8/10/11 Garwulf at Huntsman’s Lodge
- Survival Tactics, Spell Penetration & Trap Resists 10/5/11 Garwulf at Huntsman’s Lodge
- How I Roll… A look at my current Beast Mastery PvP build 1/18/12 Garwulf at Huntsman’s Lodge
These articles and videos go in depth on specific hunter PvP skills. They describe crowd control techniques, demonstrate how to help your healer by peeling, and list which buffs should be dispelled. Many useful tips and tricks are revealed.
- Disengage Montage 6/27/12 (video) Zumio
- Disengage Montage Reloaded 7/18/12 (video) Zumio
- Effective Use of Roar of Sacrifice 7/21/12 (video) Braindeadly
- How to Peel as a Hunter 2/3/12 (video) Tika
- How to Use Traps as a Hunter 3/29/11 (video) Tosan (Rykinia)
- Hunter PvP Guide: Tips and Tricks 12/24/11 (video) Tosan (Rykinia)
- In-Depth Hunter PvP Trapping Guide (video) 5/12/12 Zumio
- PvP: Underused Hunter Abilities 9/2/11 (video) Clipper
- Question Time 3/8/12 (video) Zumio
- Scatter-Trapping with Grace and Ease 11/5/11 Euripides at WoW Insider
- Self Reflection: How to Become a Good Player 7/29/12 (video) Braindeadly
- Things to Tranq Shot 3/17/11 Grillmasterx on the Arena Junkies Forums
Macros and keybindings are essential for success at hunter PvP. These videos discuss macros used by top hunters. All of the macros are also typed out in text form so that you can use copy and paste to add those you like in-game.
- Zumio – In-Depth BM PvP Macro Guide (MoP Version) 9/6/12
- Braindeadly In-Depth Hunter PvP Macro Guide 2/8/12 Hunter macros for arena and their usage are described in the video. The macros are typed out for copy/paste.
- Zumio: Macros & Keybindings! 3/26/12 Hunter PvP Macros and their usage are described in the video. All of the macros are typed out in the WHH article for copy/paste.
The choice of which addons to use is somewhat of a personal preference. Listed below are the addons that Zumio uses:
- Battleground Targets shows a small frame containing tiny unit frames that include key information such as class and spec of the enemy team. It’s very useful for rated batllegrounds as it also provides targeting functions.
- Bartender 4 has a component that makes keybinding abilities easier and also offers full action bar customization.
- Deadly Boss Mods (DBM) shows all flag/base timers in battlegrounds and Shadow Sight timers in arena.
- Gladius gives the arena frames of the WoW interface better looks and functionality. It shows trinket and defensive cooldowns, tracks and displays diminishing returns, and allows for arena frame click customization.
- Juked is for tracking interrupts, useful when you play versus feral druids who can interrupt Scare Beast, as well as allowing you to track enemy interrupts to inform you when you need to peel for your healer.
- Power Auras Classic allows you to create visual cues that display under certain circumstances; for example, you can make one to show you when a ret pops wings or a shaman pops Elemental Mastery so that you can dispel quickly.
SimpleUnitFrames is an extension to the default WoW Unit Frames. Rather than a complete unitframe replacement, this addon adds further information and features to the existing frames and allows a greater degree of customization to enhance their usability. For example, SUF allows you to see the percentage of hp on player frames to know when Kill Shot is available.
Hunter dueling guides are useful not only for learning skills to win duels but also for learning more about other class’s abilities and how to counter them when you face them in battlegrounds and arenas.
- MM Hunter vs Arena Master Frost Mage 3/20/12 Zumio
- Duels vs Lordofmagic, 2600 Frost Mage 7/24/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Destruction Warlock 7/7/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Fire Mage 2/13/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Feral Druid 2/29/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Gladiator Elemental Shaman 3/3/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Gladiator Ret Paladin 5/19/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Shadow Priest 3/11/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Subtlety Rogue 2/22/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs Unholy Death Knight 2/16/12 Zumio
- MM Hunter vs. Warrior 2/12/12 Zumio
These arena videos include commentary that can help you understand what the hunters are doing and why.
- Druid KFC 3 7/25/12 Tosan
- Druid Thug 2 7/22/12 Tosan
- 3v3 Hunter/Warrior/RShaman (KFC) 7/21/12 Zumio
- Druid Thug Cleave 7/21/12 Tosan
- Braindeadly 4: Commentary and Skype – First Match 6/6/12
- 3v3 Arena games (KFC) 5/10/12 Zumio
- Arenas: 2v2 and 3v3 games with Warrior/Hunter & KFC 3/2/12 Zumio
- KFC vs MLS Talkthrough 8/14/11 Braindeadly
- Hunter Talkthrough 8/3/11 Braindeadly
- Braindeadly 4 1/13/12
- Brang: Last Shadowmeld 5/29/12
- Tika 2: MultiGladiator Hunter 8/7/12
- Tosan Arena – Rykinia 4 7/16/12
- Zumio 1: Apex Predator – 85 MM Hunter PvP 4/19/12
- Zumio: Best of Hunter Duels – Part One 6/4/12
These tournament videos show the best WoW PvP hunters in the world in action.
- 2011 Global Battle.net Invitational at Blizzcon: Team Skill-Capped (Pookz, Snutz, Toez) vs. Team OMG (Goochi, Jungyup, Sleeping): Game One, Game Two, Game Three, Game Four 10/26/11
- NAO Invitational Tournament – RIP Original vs. Team ESN 2/4/12 Braindeadly
- Braindeadly NAO 2 – PHD vs Vanguardz, Sodah, Mez 2/21/12
- Braindeadly PHD Clips from the North American Online Tournament 3/6/12
- Arena Junkies Tournament Game 3: KFC vs Thug Cleave 5/23/12 Tosan, Kuru
- Bleached Bones Tournament with Commentary 7/10/12 Braindeadly
Analysis and discussion of the Mists of Pandaria hunter talents, glyphs, etc. from a PvP perspective. Also included are links to the new PvP gear and MoP Beta PvP videos. These articles and videos are listed by date, with newest material listed first. Note that some older material may now be outdated, and everything is subject to change while we’re still in the beta phase of MoP.
- Best Hunter Talents for MoP 9/14/12 Braindeadly
- Hunter PvP after Patch 5.0.4 9/13/12 Euripides
- Zumio: INCREDIBLE MoP Hunter Arena Tricks (video) 9/13/12
- Wild Hunt: 3 Addons That Changed The Way I PvP 9/13/12
- Zumio – In-Depth BM PvP Macro Guide (MoP Version) (video) 9/6/12
- Duel Guide vs Gladiator Warrior (MoP Ready) (video) 9/4/12 Zumio
- BM PvP Build for Patch 5.0.4 9/4/12 Garwulf
- Eldacar’s Guide to PVP Power & Resilience 9/2/12
- Hunter Talents & Glyphs 5.0 (video) 8/31/12 Zumio
- Level 90 Double Hunter 2v2 with Zumio + Braindeadly (video) 8/30/12
- Hunter Talents + Glyphs in Patch 5.0.4 (video) 8/30/12 Braindeadly
- PvE gear ABOLISHED in PvP! (video) 8/28/12 Braindeadly
- The BIGGEST issue with MoP: Hybrid Self-Healing (video) 8/28/12 Zumio
- MoP Beta Level 90 Hunter Burst (and an issue with MoP) (video) 8/27/12 Zumio
- Hunting Party Podcast 141: Zumio! 8/22/12
- Zumio’s MoP Hunter Guides: Stats, Gems, and Enchants (video) 8/18/12
- Zumio 1.5: 90 MM/BM Hunter World PvP (MoP Beta) (video) 8/11/12
- Hunter Season 12 PvP Gear Lists the armor pieces and set bonuses for the Season 12 Contender’s Defense, Dreadful Gladiator’s Pursuit, and Malevolent Gladiator’s Pursuit armor sets.
- Zumio: 5 Hunter Changes that Blizzard NEEDS to make before MoP (video) 8/8/12
- Zumio: The 10 BEST things about Hunters in MoP! (video) 8/4/12
- Level 90 Hunter Duels: Warlocks 7/11/12 (video) Inhidewow
- Braindeadly: Level 90 Mists of Pandaria Update (video) 7/5/12
- The Future of PvP in Mists of Pandaria 6/5/12 Official WoW Blog
- Zumio: MoP Beta Hunter PvP 5/6/12 (video)
- Zumio: MoP Beta – In Depth Analysis of ALL Hunter Glyphs! (video) 4/16/12
- Braindeadly Mists of Pandaria – Hunter Talent Updates Part 2 (video) 3/31/12
- Braindeadly Mists of Pandaria – Hunter Talent Updates Part 1 (video) 3/30/12
- Using expertise??? But we are already experts! 3/8/12 Quelys at Quel’s Hunting Corner
Artwork is from the Battlenet FanArt Gallery.