Hunter Pet Guide (WoW MoP Beta)
Tabana: Many changes are coming to hunter pets in Mists of Pandaria (MoP). This guide describes all of the pet changes including basic abilities, specialization abilities, new pet families, and new family abilities. Links to sources for further information about hunter pets in MoP are provided. The guide will be updated as new information becomes available.
This guide is part of the WoW Hunters Hall collection of MoP Guides that includes guides to all of the new hunter abilities, gear, glyphs, gems, enchants, and pets.
Pet Basic Abilities
Basic abilities are abilities that all pets have.
- Basic Attack
- Cower 45 sec cooldown. Your pet cowers, reducing damage taken by 40% for 6 sec. While cowering, your pet’s movement speed is reduced by 50%.
- Growl Melee Range, 8 sec cooldown. Your pet growls at the target, generating threat and taunting the target to attack the pet.
- Avoidance Passive. Reduces the damage your pet takes from creature area of effect attacks by an additional 90%.
Pet Specializations: Cunning, Ferocity, and Tenacity
When you first tame a new pet it will have the specialization you would normally associate with the pet’s family e.g. ferocity for cats and tenacity for turtles; however, once tamed, hunters will be able to change the spec of any pet to whichever spec they desire by visiting a Pet Trainer and paying a fee.
Cunning Pets know special tricks associated with enhanced movement and player protection and are often used in PvP.
- Boar’s Speed Passive. Increases your pet’s movement speed by 30%.
- Bullheaded Three min cooldon. Removes all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your pet, and reduces damage done to your pet by 20% for 12 sec.
- Dash 30 focus, instant, 32 sec cooldown. Increases your pet’s movement speed by 80% for 16 sec.
- Cornered When at less than 35% health, your pet does 50% more damage and has a 60% reduced chance to be critically hit.
- Roar of Sacrifice Forty yard range, one min cooldown. Protects a friendly target from critical strikes, making attacks against that target unable to be critical strikes, but 20% of all damage taken by that target is also taken by the pet. Lasts 12 sec.
Ferocity Pets have abilities that increase the damage they do to enemies; they are the spec most commonly used in dungeon and raid environments when dps is most important.
- Dash 30 focus, instant, 32 sec cooldown. Increases your pet’s movement speed by 80% for 16 sec.
- Heart of the Phoenix Eight min cooldown. When used, your pet will miraculously return to life with full health.
- Rabid Two min cooldown. Increases your pet’s attack power by 25% for 20 sec.
- Spiked Collar Increases the damage done by your pet’s Basic Attacks by 10%, increases your pet’s haste by 10%, and increases your pet’s critical strike chance by 10%.
Tenacity Pets have abilities that aid them in surviving damage and holding threat and are well suited for leveling, pet-tanking, and soloing.
- Blood of the Rhino Increases all healing effects on your pet by 40%, increasing your pet’s armor by 20%, and reduces your pet’s chance to be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%.
- Charge 35 focus, 8-25 yard range, instant, 25 sec cooldown. Your pet charges an enemy, immobilizing the target for 1 sec, and increasing the pet’s melee attack power by 25% for its next attack.
- Great Stamina Increases your pet’s total health by 12%.
- Last Stand Six minute cooldown. Your pet temporarily gains 30% of its maximum health for 20 sec. After the effect expires, the health is lost.
- Thunderstomp Twenty focus, melee range, instant, 10 sec cooldown. Shakes the ground with thundering force, doing (5 + ((RAP * 0.40) * 0.0245)) Nature damage to all enemies within 8 yards. This ability causes a moderate amount of additional threat.
Special (Family) Abilities
Special Abilities are family-specific pet abilities. Ordinary pets know one special ability and sometimes one cosmetic “trick” type ability. Exotic pets, tamable only by Beast Mastery hunters, know two special abilities. We are only listing the new MoP pets and new MoP pet abilities here. For pets and abilities that have not changed, there is a comprehensive chart listing all of the current Cataclysm pet families and their special abilities at Petopia.
New Non-Exotic Pet Families and new or changed special abilities
- Basilisk: Petrifying Gaze New: Turns the target into stone for 3 sec, causing them to be invulnerable. 20 yd range, Instant, 60 sec cooldown.
- Boar: Gore Instant, 10 second cooldown. Your boar gores the enemy, causing it to take 4% increased physical damage for 30 sec.
- Carrion Bird: Demoralizing Screech Instant. 8 sec. cooldown. The Carrion Bird screeches, reducing the physical damage caused by all enemies within 8 yards by 10% for 10 sec.
- Cat: Roar of Courage 45 second cooldown. The beast lets out a roar of courage, increasing the mastery of all party and raid members by 3000 within 100 yards. Lasts for 1 min.
- Lullaby New: Puts the target to sleep for 4 sec. 20 yd range, Instant, 60 sec cooldown. [Does not share diminishing returns with Freezing Trap, Scatter Shot, Binding Shot, or Intimidation. It does share DR with Wyvern Sting. - Aettis]
- Trick You command your Crane to do a trick. Instant. [See Frostheim's video of the crane pet trick.]
- Dire Horn
- Dragonhawk: Fire Breath. Instant, channeled, 30 sec. cooldown. Breathes Fire on the target, increasing magic damage taken by 8% for 45 sec.
- Goat: Trample New: Your goat tramples the enemy, kicking up an obscuring cloud of dust, causing all enemies within 10 yards to have their melee and ranged attack speed reduced by 20% for 30 sec. Melee range, Instant, 25 sec cooldown.
- Hyena: Cackling Howl The hyena lets out a cackling howl, increasing the melee and ranged attack speed of all party and raid members within 100 yards by 10% for 2 min. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown.
- Serpent: Serpent’s Swiftness Increases the melee and ranged attack speed of all party and raid members within 100 yards by 10% for 2 min. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown. Special Ability.
- Sporebat: Mind Quickening Assume a Shadowform, increasing your Shadow damage by 5%, reducing all damage done to you by 15%, and increasing all party and raid members spell haste by 5%. However, you may not cast Holy spells while in this form.
- Tallstrider: Dust Cloud Your tallstrider kicks up a cloud of dust, causing all enemies within 10 yards to be afflicted by Weakened Armor. Weakens the armor of the target by 4% for 30 sec. Stacks up to 3 times.
New Exotic Pet Families and new or changed exotic pet abilities
- Chimera: Froststorm Breath 10 focus plus 5 per sec., The Chimera channels a frozen breath attack, causing (275 + 28.8% of RAP * 1.5) Froststorm damage every 2 sec for 8 sec to all enemies within 12 yards.
- Devilsaur: Monstrous Bite Instant. 8 sec. Cooldown. Your devilsaur ferociously bites the enemy, reducing the effectiveness of any healing received for 10 sec.
- Eternal Guardian Returns the spirit to the body, restoring a dead target to life with 20% health and 20% mana. 20 yd range, 2 sec cast, 10 min cooldown.
- Fearless Roar The quilen lets out a fearless roar, increasing the critical strike chance of all party and raid members by 5%. Instant, 45 sec cooldown.
- Spirit beast
- Water Strider
- Still Water New: Infuses all party and raid members within vision with still water, increasing their spell power by 10% and their critical strike chance by 5% for 60 min. Instant.
- Surface Trot New: Allows the Hunter and the Water Strider to walk across water for 10 min. Any damage will cancel the effect. Unlimited range, Instant.
- Burrow Attack 10 focus plus 5 per sec., 20 sec cooldown. The Worm burrows into the earth, shaking the ground above dealing ((137 + ((RAP * 0.40) * 0.288)) * 8) Nature damage over 8 sec.
Additional Information about Hunter Pets in MoP
Pet Utility Charts
- WHU: Hunter Pet Buffs List & The Best Hunter Pets 3/27/13
- Kalliope: Kalliope: Hunter Pet Buffs, Debuffs, and Utility Abilities in MoP (video and charts) 9/21/12
- MMO-C Hunter Forum: Detailed Hunter Pet Flowchart 9/6/12
- The Brewhall: Patch 5.04 – Buffs and Debuffs 8/28/12
- World of Lae: Pet Utility Table 8/9/12/
MoP Rare Pets
- General information
- Where the Wild Things Are: An Overview of the Mists of Pandaria Rares (video) – Kalliope 8/9/12
- Rare Pandaria Hunter Pets – A New Kind of Challenge – Euphyley 8/3/12
- How to Track the MoP Rare Beasts (video) – Kalliope 8/3/12
- Maps for the MoP Rare Hunter Pets – Why? Because it’s Rare 8/2/12
- A closer look at the Hunter rare tames in Mists of Pandaria – WoW Insider 8/1/12
- New Tamable Elites Can Only be Revealed by Hunters – WHH 7/30/12
- Where The Wild Things Are (MoP rare information) – Petopia Forum thread
- Bloodtooth (Basilisk)
- Where the Wild Things Are: Bombyx Kalliope 10/19/12
- Bristlespine (blue porcupine)
- Glimmer (Water Strider)
- Hexapos (Water Strider)
- Patrannache (Pink Crane)
- Portent (Quilen)
- Rockhide the Immovable (Basilisk)
- Rockhide the Immovable – Trackable Hunter Pet (Basilisk) – Euphyley 8/19/12
- Savage (Siberian Tiger)
- Stompy (Goat)
- Where the Wild Things Are: Stompy – Kalliope 8/30/12
- Stompy – Trackable Hunter Pet (Goat) – Euphyley 8/31/12
- Stompy: Rare Hunter Pet Tame Guide – Mists of Pandaria (video) – Syiler 8/12/12
Patch 5.2 Spectral Porcupines: Degu, Gumi, and Hutia
- Where the Wild Things Are: Degu, Gumi, and Hutia – Kalliope’s Pantheon of Pets
- How to Tame Degu (Red Spectral Porcupine) – WoW Rare Spawns
- How to Tame Gumi (Blue Spectral Porcupine) – WoW Rare Spawns
- How to Tame Hutia (Green Spectral Porcupine) – WoW Rare Spawns
Petopia keeps a comprehensive set of guides to Warcraft hunter pets, illustrating every variety (skin) for every pet family, pet locations, zones, and abilities. They also keep lists of which beasts are tamable, which are not, and which are exotics.
- Mists of Pandaria Pet Talents
- New Pet Families in Mists of Pandaria
- New Pet Looks in Mists of Pandaria
- Mists of Pandaria Pets by Zone
- Petopia Mists of Pandaria Forum
- Kalliope: The Deep Tunneler’s Animations 10/28/12
- Where the Wild Things Are: The 100+ Rares of Azeroth 10/25/12
- Where the Wild Things Are: Arcane Wyrms 10/17/12
- Sheppo: Pet Buffs Guide 5.0.4 9/10/12
- Crane, Wolf, and Water Strider – Zolo 7/5/12
- MoP Beta Hunter Pets: New Models Video – Náyla 5/18/12
- Crane Pet Trick: MoP Beta Hunter – Frostheim 5/15/12
- Overview of the Pet Talent System (MoP Beta) – Zumio 5/2/12
- Hunter Pet Talent System in the MoP Beta - Sheppo 4/25/12
- WoW Rare Spawns: Tons of New Rares Coming in 5.1 11/24/12
- Aspect of the Murloc: Hunter 101: Which pet should I get? (MoP) 9/4/12
- Mania’s Arcania: MoP: New Pet Families 5/13/12
- WHH: Hunter Changes, New Pets, and New Pet Abilities: MoP Beta Build 15689 5/12/12
- Shooting Azeroth: A Night on the Beta (screenshots of pets on the beta) 5/12/12
- Warcraft Hunters Union: MoP Hunter Pet Changes Lists changes to pets including pet abilities that are going away. 4/17/12
- Stable Master’s Resource: Mists of Pandaria Buffs & Debuffs – A Hunter’s View 4/9/12
- Mania’s Arcania: Current MoP Pet Abilities (build 15544) 4/7/12
- The Brew Hall: MoP Pet Changes 4/7/12